Principal Development Scientist
Location: 495 County Road 1300 North, Champaign, IL 61822
Position: Principal Development Scientist
Autonomic Materials, Inc. (AMI) develops and offers innovative self-healing technologies that extend coating lifetimes, minimizing upkeep and repair. Advancements in self-healing technologies are charting new territory for the coatings, adhesives, and sealants industries, and AMI is at the forefront of that effort. AMI’s proprietary self-healing additives give materials the ability to repair themselves when they are damaged, without the need for any external intervention. AMI is based in Champaign, Illinois.
AAMI is looking for a candidate with broad experience in the areas of chemistry, materials science and engineering or polymer science and engineering including synthesis and characterization, self-healing polymeric material design and controlled release and smart delivery systems. The qualified candidate will be responsible for supporting the new product development efforts of AMI. The candidate must be a self-starter, able to work independently in a team environment. The ideal candidate should demonstrate an ability to plan, prioritize and execute experiments in an efficient and timely manner. Candidates are expected to demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills through a record of publications and conference presentations as well as excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse team of co-workers.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Polymer Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field.
- Experience with polymer synthesis and characterization, self-healing polymer system design and testing, microencapsulation and other controlled release and smart delivery systems is desired.
- Familiarity with standard materials characterization instrumentation including but not limited to Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectroscopy, Infrared Spectroscopy (IR), Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC) and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM).
- Experience in the paint and coatings, adhesives, and/or sealant industries is a plus.
- Successful track record in product development is a plus.
- Must have strong experience with chemical laboratory work.
- Analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills.
- Self-starter capable of meeting objectives with minimum supervision.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com